I have done it! I have run 32 days in a row (every day in January and the 10k race on NYE)! I have completed the Janathon 2012!!!! I have therefore treated myself to a little reward for my efforts.
Today should really have been a rest day after doing my longest run of the month yesterday so I was happy to have an easy end to the Janathon by just doing 2km on the treadmill. If it wasn’t freeeezing outside then I would have considered running outside but it wasn’t (or it was?) so I didn’t.
I left it until 9pm to go to the gym and there were only a handful of people there and I was able to watch The Biggest Loser while running on the treadmill. Just over 12 minutes later my run was done and my Janathon was complete!! Tomorrow night and Thursday night I would usually run with the club but I think I might have a rest day tomorrow and try to remember how I used to spend my evenings before the whole running thing completely took over.
As I did on the evening of 31st January 2011 I once again started to wonder what I had learned from doing the Janathon. Again it is very late in the evening and I am very tired so here are just a few (not particularly thought through) thoughts (some of which have been recycled from this time last year):
1. I can run! I have proved that I can turn up and run well over 5 miles without walking.
2. Eating and drinking properly before and after a run is really important (eating cheese before a run is not recommended!)
3. Stretching after a run is also so important, even after a short run
4. If I put effort into my running then I can improve, especially if I tell myself that I can do it.
5. People at the running club are really friendly and are happy to help if they see that I am putting a bit of effort in.
6. Running is so much easier and much more enjoyable in a group of people
7. I can run faster and for longer than I think I can
8. Speed sessions are the only way that I am going to get any faster
9. I love running in the rain!
10. Running every day is really hard!
Anyways, thanks to everyone for their kind comments and giving me encouragement along the way and well done to everyone who has completed the Janathon. A massive thanks also to all those who have sponsored me and helped me raise money for the fantastic charity Kick4Life. The charity uses the power of sport to help some of the most disadvantaged children in the world and all of the money is massively appreciated.
Ave Pace: 10:24
Janathon 2012 Stats (compared with Janathon 2011 Stats)
Distance: 71.9 miles (60.1 miles)
Time: 13.8 hours (11.4 hours)
Longest Run: 5.74 miles (4.34 miles)
Best Ave Pace: 9:53 (10:17)
No. Pbs: 1 (1)
Relief at having completed the Janathon: 100 (100)